Visit Our Google+ 8000 Member
Gardening Community
Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens

Join My Private Gardening Community
for New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Search this Blog & All the Linked Member's Garden Blogs

My Garden on Instagram

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Frost Protection, 'Tuff' Tomatoes and A Tour of My Garden

Mid March Garden Update at The Rusted Garden
Frost Protection and 'Toughen-Up' Tomato Tips

I will be doing two monthly updates of my garden as 2013 progresses. This is my first update. I will be adding in several garden tips and tricks within the updates to help make the videos a little more valuable toward your time.

It is mid march and because we have had unseasonably colder temperatures, I am about 2 weeks behind in planting and my greenhouse shelf units have filled up with plants. This week we will be having two 25 degree nights. That is just too cold. A little frost is fine for cool crops but 7 degrees below freezing is a lot.  I did push my beets, lettuce and kohlrabi into the ground. I made micro domes out of cups to keep them from freezing through. I hope it works!



The tips I discuss are:
  • Using plastic cups for frost protection
  • Thirty minutes of sun an wind to 'toughen-up' your tomatoes
  • Black painted milk jugs to hold heat
  • Perennial beds to bring in good bugs
  • And a couple other things.
I hope you enjoy the short tour of my garden. I wish you luck and success in your 2013 gardens!



Questions? Join My Google+ Community
Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens

Over 100 HD Garden Videos: Join
My YouTube Video Gardening Channel

1 comment:

  1. Great article on tomatoes - we can help with nutrients - just keep up the education on how to grow them. http://www.kelp4less.com/

    ReplyDelete

Videos: Growing, Tending & Pruning Tomatoes

Complete Guide to Starting Tomatoes Indoors


How to Grow Large Tomatoes in Containers


Growing Brandywine Tomatoes


How to Build a Hot-House Tomato Cage


How to Transplant Tomato Seedlings into Cups


How Prune, Stake and Remove Suckers


Using Grass Clipping for Mulch and a Soil Barrier


Single, Double and Triple Tomato Stem Pruning


The Baxter's Bush Cherry Container Tomato


Complete Guide to Growing Heirloom Tomatoes


The Kentucky Orange Heirloom Tomato

Our Tomato and Vegetable Garden - Pinterest Board