Visit Our Google+ 8000 Member
Gardening Community
Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens

Join My Private Gardening Community
for New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Search this Blog & All the Linked Member's Garden Blogs

My Garden on Instagram

Friday, February 7, 2014

An Early Planting Contest for Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens

An Early Planting Contest
for Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens

So yes I can't wait to get planting outdoors. My garden is still frozen as of today. I typically put peas out in March. Tomatoes out in April (and battle frost). Maybe Ill get some potatoes out early too.

This year my peas are going out in February and I am going to put some determinate tomatoes out March 15th. I want red tomatoes by end of May. The challenge is to start something super early!

The contest (for fun) is creating a hot-house cage similar to one on the link. Basically, plastic wrap around a tomato cage. However, with starting this early you will need more than plastic. You will need a heat source. Don't follow my design feel free to create anything that works. Sorry greenhouses don't count.


Maybe Something Like This?

So If you want to do something with your time and join the contest... Pick a plant to plant early in a container or in the ground. Get it out earlier than recommended in frosty weather and see if it will grow, survive and bring early yields. Post some pictures or links of your progress.

I will be doing peas. I am building a hot-house cage with hanging recycled water bottles inside for a night time radiating heat source. This will be all done in a 5 gallon container.

Let's see if we can push the limits.


Gardening Questions? Join My Google+ Community
Our Tomato and Vegetable Gardens

Over 100 HD Garden Videos: Join
My YouTube Video Gardening Channel

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun Gary. I planted a couple of Patty pans seeds indoor just to check germination. They were up much sooner than I though. I was going to dump them in the compost bin. But I remember seeing people using Milk jugs used as green house. Yesterday, Transplanted the Patty Pans in my new raised bed cover them with a milk jug took the lid off. In the evening it was getting cold I put the lid back on. I just took the lid off this morning and they are still doing fine. Just doing this for fun. BTW, I have a Tomato plant my father-in-law gave me this past Fall on our front balcony and it's doing well. I cover it at night. We are finally getting Winter weather here in California so not sure how it'll do. For now It does have 3 small tomatoes, I have no idea what kind of tomato it is. The person who gave it to him thought it was a pepper plant, lol I'll keep watching your videos for updates. I was wondering if you ever came to a conclusion for the Banana & Egg as fertilizer experiment?

    ReplyDelete

Videos: Growing, Tending & Pruning Tomatoes

Complete Guide to Starting Tomatoes Indoors


How to Grow Large Tomatoes in Containers


Growing Brandywine Tomatoes


How to Build a Hot-House Tomato Cage


How to Transplant Tomato Seedlings into Cups


How Prune, Stake and Remove Suckers


Using Grass Clipping for Mulch and a Soil Barrier


Single, Double and Triple Tomato Stem Pruning


The Baxter's Bush Cherry Container Tomato


Complete Guide to Growing Heirloom Tomatoes


The Kentucky Orange Heirloom Tomato

Our Tomato and Vegetable Garden - Pinterest Board